Simple pot roast using bone in cuts, adds a marvellous depth of flavour. This can be done in the oven or in the slow cooker.
Preparation time: 20mins
Cooking time 4.5-6hrs.
1-2kg chuck on the bone or y-bone roast
Coarse ground salt & pepper
Plain flour or for thickening use almond meal
2 tbsp olive oil
500g sliced swiss brown mushrooms (or equivalent)
1 onion, chopped, medium
1 tbsp garlic, minced
2 to 3 cups of good quality beef stock
3 carrots, as large cuts approximately 3cm in length
3 celery stalks, diced
A few sprigs of fresh rosemary and thyme roughly chopped
1. Rub all sides of the roast with salt and pepper. Coat with flour and rub it into the roast then shake off excess flour.
2. Heat oven proof/heavy based pot over medium-high heat and add cooking oil. When hot sear the chuck or y bone roast for 4 to 6 minutes per side until browned. Remove the roast and set it aside.
3. Add butter and mushrooms to pot and cook over medium for 3 to 4 minutes.
4. Add onion and continue cooking until onions are translucent and brown slightly. Add garlic and cook for an additional 1 to 2 minutes.
5. Mix 1.5 tablespoons of flour with a small amount of cold water to make a smooth paste. Stir into pot mixture and cook for approximately 1 minute. Alternatively stir in almond meal.
6. Stir beef stock (use less for smaller roast, more for a larger one) into mixture and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat.
7. Add vegetables and meat to the pot or if you wish transfer everything to a slow cooker.
8. Place the lid on the oven proof pot cook on the stove or in the oven on low or slow cooker on high for 4.5 to 6 hours (depending on size of roast). The meat is ready when it is fork tender and easily falls apart.
9. Server as is, meat and vegetables or puree liquid the vegetables and stock for a gravy. Season to taste.